Monday, October 1, 2012

Painful miles and my breath prayer.

The past month of running has been more or less non-existent.  Which for most people is not a problem...but I am running a marathon in 12 days.  My hip has been to see a chiropractor, a doctor, and now a PT.  My miles have been painful, not just on my hip, but also on my lungs and my body and my spirit.  As always, running seems to be a constant metaphor for life.  And every breath I take can be effected.

The past four months of my life have been short of perfect.  I have logged some painful miles on the pavement, as well as on my spiritual journey and life in general.  Sometimes breathing takes effort.

My breath prayer lives inside me with every gasp.  I inhale with His name and exhale with my supplication.  It changes and shifts depending on where my life is, but no matter what, this prayer continues to be as constant as my heart beat, as steady as the rising and falling of my chest, and as ever faithful as the God that it cries out to.

First it was, "Father God, have mercy on me."

Then, "Father God, please help."

Now, "Father God, You only." 

Every step that I take, every stride during every mile, "Father God, You only."  I am going to start a marathon at 7:30am on October 14th.  I don't know how far I will make it/if I will finish, and if I do, what time frame it will be in or what my body will feel like when I am all done,  but you better believe I will do my best.  God never promised me pain free, easy miles and no rain on my new shoes.  But He did promise to be there every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment