Friday, May 7, 2010

Significance vs Success

A few weeks ago, Greg, Sam and I trekked to Arthur, Nebraska to perform in a special ceremony for the 2010 high school graduates. After the welcome, the senior song, and the presentation of Bibles, Greg and I made our way up on stage to sing three worship songs to a relatively unchurched group. Blessed Be Your Name, Absolutely, and Jesus, Lover of My Soul. Easy songs to play and easy songs to sing, but in spite of their ease and my nervousness, I was still able to communicate with my God. Here we were, singing in a tiny little church in front of a bunch of complete strangers, and I was able to let go and lift my voice to the Upmost.

With a smile on face, we completed our set and I went and sat beside my husband. Greg then began his message. He opened with the story of Simon's (Peter's) call to follow Jesus on the water. Here Peter was, at the pinnacle of his career. He has just caught more fish than his boat could carry and life was good. He was on the brink of astonishing success, but he chose Jesus. Living a life of success (fishing and becoming a wealthy business man) or living a life of significance (leaving all of his possessions at home and following a political and social outcast). That is the decision that we all must make. Sometimes they come hand in hand, but most times it is one or the other.

Greg was speaking to the 2010 high school graduates that night, but he spoke to me as well. Where does my life's significance (worshiping and living for God, singing, youth ministry, and living a life glorifying my husband and making plans to start a family) fit in with my rather pathetic attempts at suceess (a career, theater, some sense of social standing)? Is it really possible, in today's society, to push aside the ever pressing need to be "successful" and live "significantly?"

The mystery here is how does one live a life of significance while everyone around you is fighting for success? Why can't living life for God be like a V8 commercial? Why can't He just bop me on the head and tell me "You need to do this, this, and this, to fulfill your significance in life for My purpose."? There are so many choices. Stay at the theater, go back to school, start a family, move to a different state, pursue theater, pursue a life in the ministry. They all seem significant. Am I called to do any of this?

Father God, I need a bop on the forehead. Please help.

No comments:

Post a Comment