Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Curious about what I'm giving up for Lent?

Today marks the start of the 40 day journey to the cross.

First off, for those you that don't know, I am Baptist. American Baptist to be specific. I currently attend the church that I was born and raised in after a short stint with the Presbyterians while I went to college, and a little bit of everything while I toured. Typically, Baptists don't focus a whole lot on giving up things or doing anything special for Lent, short of maybe having an extra bible study, a few extra services, and a special communion service or two. I guess, that is too much of a generalization. Maybe they do, but I haven't encountered many of them.

Over the years, I have tried giving up a few things just because it was a cool thing that some of my friends were doing, profs encouraged it, or I was trying to impress someone. It never ended well, and if I made it a week, it was a miracle. I had pretty much given up, thinking that I didn't have the will power or my faith wasn't strong enough. But this year feels different.

This year, I am giving up excuses. I make at least 50 excuses everyday; to myself and to everyone around me. I try to cover up for my inability to follow through, or why I'm so unhealthy, or why my prayer life sucks, or why supper isn't ready. It gets old. I'm going to quit making excuses and wasting so much of everything, from time to talent to resources.

40 days of actually reading my bible instead of making an excuse about how I didn't have time.
40 days of actually working out instead of making an excuse about how I am too tired.
40 days of doing my best to keep a clean house and make a decent meal instead of making an excuse about how I don't know how.
40 days of spending time with God in prayer instead of making an excuse about how I forgot.
40 days of writing music, reading, reaching out to people in my life who need help, loving my youth group, cherishing my friends, hopelessly loving my husband and relishing in the fact that I am a child of the Most High King instead of making an excuse about how I'm not good enough, about how I'm not smart enough, about how I'm too busy, too tired, too scatterbrained, or too burned out to do anything.

I'm done making excuses. I never give myself a chance. These next 40 days will shoot me full throttle into the world of "adult food" spirituality and away from the "baby food" that I have been clinging on to for so long. It's time for me to grow up, in so many more ways than one. It's going to be uncomfortable...and it's going to be incredible.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Brittany! That was an amazing read. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed at the thought you put into this (the sacrifice, not the blog post *g*). I love it. Amazing idea, and sure to be rewarding. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete